Today in North Dakota History
June 3, 1883 |
Territorial legislators choose Bismarck for capital. |
June 4, 1949 |
Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park, the country's only national memorial park at that time, was dedicated at Medora in the Badlands of western North Dakota. |
June 5, 1873 |
First train arrives in Bismarck. |
June 7, 1893 |
Fire burned almost entire business section of Fargo. |
June 8, 1872 |
First NP train crossed Red River to Fargo. |
June 10, 1880 |
Congress enacted a law throwing the military reservations of Forts Abercrombie, Ransom and Seward open to homestead entry. All had been vacated earlier. |
June 12, 1843 |
J.J. Audubon arrived at Fort Union at the mouth of the Yellowstone River for a two-month sojourn, during which he completed work on two major nature studies, "Quadrupeds of North America" and "Birds of America." |
June 14, 1934 |
Federal court jury convicted Gov. William Langer of violating federal political contribution law. |
June 14, 1872 |
Fort McKeen was established as an infantry post. Later the same year it was replaced by the cavalry post, Fort Abraham Lincoln. It was Custer's home for several years. |
June 15, 1866 |
Construction began on Fort Buford, at the mouth of the Yellowstone River in western North Dakota. It was here that Sitting Bull surrendered in 1881. |
June 15, 1889 |
North Dakota Press Association reorganized at Fargo. |
June 18, 1867 |
For protection of rail construction workers, Fort Ransom was established on the Sheyenne River. |
June 20, 1966 |
President Lyndon Johnson signed into law the bill establishing the Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site. |
June 20, 1957 |
Fargo hit by tornado that killed 10, injured more than 100, and destroyed or damaged 1,400 homes. |
June 22, 1922 |
Alexander McKenzie died in St. Paul, Minnesota. |
June 23, 1952 |
Dr. W.T. Thom, Princeton University chairman of geology, returns to North Dakota 40 years after geological discoveries that led him to give the Williston Basin its name. |
June 24, 1908 |
First statewide primary election (for U.S. senator) held. T.F. Marshall ties M.N. Johnson. Johnson declared nominee in second primary. |
June 25, 1876 |
Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer and his immediate command were annihilated by Indians consisting largely of the Sioux at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. |
June 26, 1919 |
Bank of North Dakota founded. |
June 26, 1952 |
Service Pipeline Company announced it would build a pipeline from oil fields near Tioga to refinery being built at Mandan. |
June 27, 1910 |
Proposal to repeal state prohibition rejected by voters. |
June 28, 1916 |
Nonpartisan League endorsees won overwhelmingly in the first Republican primary in which the League endorsed candidates. |
July 1, 1919 |
The fourth Rotary Club in North Dakota was chartered at Williston. |
July 1, 1962 |
Minot Air Force Base was transferred from control of the Air Defense Command to that of the Strategic Air Command. |
July 1, 1963 |
Command of Grand Forks Air Force Base was transferred from the Air Defense Command to the Strategic Air Command. |
July 1, 1890 |
The prohibition section of the North Dakota Constitution became effective. |
July 1, 1939 |
The new North Dakota Board of Higher Education replaced the State Board of Administration as the control body for state institutions of higher learning. |
July 1, 1919 |
Thomas S. Kleppe, congressman from North Dakota since 1967, was born at Kintyre. |
July 1, 1895 |
The North Dakota Geological Survey was established. |
July 1, 1907 |
A Public Health Laboratory was opened at the University of North Dakota. |
July 1, 1955 |
The Camp Hancock Museum at Bismarck opened. Originally a military post, for years the building housed the U. S. Weather Bureau. The original structure, which dates from 1872, was turned over to the State Historical Society in 1951. |
July 1, 1954 |
The graduate school at North Dakota State University became formalized, and Dr. Glenn Smith was named its dean. |
July 1, 1895 |
Establishment of North Dakota Geological Survey. |
July 1, 1955 |
Garrison Diversion Conservancy District organized to plan for irrigation of 250,000 acres, initially in 25 counties. |
July 1, 1933 |
John C. West began his duties as the new president of the University of North Dakota. |
July 1, 1934 |
Street car service, operated at Grand Forks since 1905, was abandoned. |
July 1, 1941 |
New oil law concerning regulation on production of oil and gas in North Dakota became effective. It was repealed and replaced by a new law, which took effect July 1, 1953. |
July 1, 1965 |
The former Wesley College at Grand Forks became the Wesley Center of Religion, with the University of North Dakota purchasing its dormitories. |
July 1, 1933 |
Sale of 3.2 beer was legalized in North Dakota. |
July 1, 1899 |
A law permitting divorces to be granted after 90-day residence within the state expired. North Dakota had become a national divorce mecca under the law. |
July 1, 1966 |
The Fort Totten Indian Reservation was raised from sub-agency to agency status, with James B. Cornett taking over as agency superintendent. |
July 1, 1940 |
The Rural Electrification Administration announced a $60,000 loan to Minnkota Power Cooperative to build a generating plant at Grand Forks. |
July 1, 1935 |
A tornado caused four deaths in McKenzie and Mountrail Counties. |
July 1, 1917 |
Importation of liquor into North Dakota became illegal, even for personal use, under the so-called "Bone Dry Law." |
July 1, 1969 |
Forty years after he became publisher of the Grand Forks Herald, M.M. Oppegard stepped down as publisher and editor of the newspaper. Ralph Roth became publisher, and Jack Hagerty executive editor. |
July 1, 1890 |
The prohibition section of the North Dakota Constitution became effective. |
July 1, 1929 |
Ridder Publications and the late M.M. Oppegard became the owners of The Grand Forks Herald after purchasing it from J.F. Bacon and associates. |
July 2, 1874 |
General George Custer and an expedition of 1,000 men left Fort Abraham Lincoln, near present-day Mandan, on an expedition that confirmed the discovery of gold in the Black Hills. |
July 2, 1863 |
General Sibley's expedition entered North Dakota at the Cayuga site to campaign against the Indians. |
July 2, 1864 |
President Lincoln approved an act of Congress creating the Northern Pacific Railway. |