Today in North Dakota History
July 2, 1955 |
A tornado caused two deaths and $180,000 damage at Walcott. |
July 2, 1868 |
The largest Indian peace parley held in North Dakota convened at Fort Rice. There were said to have been 50,000 Indians on hand. Peace commissioners included Generals William S. Harvey, Alfred H. Terry and John B. Sanborn. |
July 2, 1875 |
George H. Walsh published the first edition of the Grand Forks Plaindealer, the first newspaper of the village. |
July 1, 1892 |
A special three-day session of the North Dakota Legislature convened to provide for election of presidential electors for 1892, so North Dakotans could have a voice in the selection of the President. |
July 1, 1916 |
The First North Dakota Infantry was mustered into federal service at Camp Lincoln at Bismarck. |
July 1, 1940 |
The Rural Electrification Administration announced an $860,000 loan to Minnkota Power Cooperative to build a generating plant at Grand Forks. |
July 2, 1883 |
Dakota Territory capital moved from Yankton to Bismarck. |
July 2, 1859 |
Samuel J. Albright established the Dakota Democrat at Sioux Falls City, first newspaper published within the limits of Dakota Territory. |
July 3, 1839 |
Lieutenant John C. Fremont, "the great pathfinder," and Lieutenant Jean N. Nicollet began exploring east-central North Dakota. |
July 3, 1907 |
Natural gas was discovered on the Parker farm, 9.5 miles south of Westhope, while drilling for water. |
July 3, 1805 |
Sioux massacred rival Indians on the Tongue River, in what now is North Dakota, killing or taking 14 men, women and children prisoner. |
July 3, 1871 |
The first Grand Forks area voting precinct was established at John Stewart's stage station, located on the banks of the Red River at what now is Grand Forks. The precinct stretched from the Turtle River on the north to the Goose River on the south. |
July 3, 1947 |
Nine people were killed by a tornado in Walsh County. |
July 4, 1962 |
A state historical museum was dedicated in North Dakota's oldest community, Pembina. |
July 3, 1836 |
The territory of Wisconsin was created, including the part of North Dakota east of the Missouri River. |
July 3, 1864 |
The site was selected and construction started on Fort Rice, south of Mandan on the west bank of the Missouri, by General Alfred H. Sully. |
July 4, 1889 |
The North Dakota Constitutional Convention opened in Bismarck. |
July 4, 1871 |
The Fargo townsite was established, although not given that name until the following year. |
July 4, 1883 |
The first train arrived at the site of Devils Lake and was met by the steamboat Minnie H. |
July 4, 1886 |
Theodore Roosevelt was the principal speaker for Dickinson's first Independence Day celebration. |
July 4, 1889 |
Sitting Bull led 500 warriors down the streets of Bismarck in a parade, followed by the 75 elected delegates to the North Dakota Constitutional Convention, which convened that day. |
July 4, 1919 |
The Grand Forks post of the American Legion was organized. |
July 4, 1942 |
A plaque was unveiled at Whitestone Hill Battlefield State Park, near Monango, to commemorate the Indians killed in a three-day battle, September 3-5, 1863, by forces under General Alfred H. Sully. |
July 5, 1966 |
Raymond C. Dobson, publisher of The Minot Daily News, was elected grand exalted ruler of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. |
July 5, 1889 |
Fredrick B. Fancher, a Republican and Farmers Alliance member, was elected chairman of the North Dakota Constitutional Convention at Bismarck. |
July 5, 1876 |
The steamer Far West reached Bismarck with news of the Custer Massacre and the wounded from Reno's force. |
July 5, 1888 |
The plat for the townsite of Rolla, seat of Rolette County, was filed. |
July 6, 1881 |
The first service of the Mayville Congregational Church, the first church established in Mayville, was held in the open air. |
July 6, 1873 |
Colonel C.A. Lounsberry publishes first issue of The Bismarck Tribune, the state's oldest newspaper in existence today, although it carried the date of July 11. Delays in setting type and fear that legal advertising would be invalidated if dated on a holiday prevented first issue from being published on July 4. |
July 6, 1910 |
Formation of Renville County, named for pioneer trader Gabriel Renville, was recognized by executive proclamation. It had been separated from Ward County at an election on Nov. 30, 1908. |
July 6, 1910 |
Burke County was organized. Carved out of the northwestern townships of Ward County, it was named in honor of Governor John R. Burke. |
July 6, 1910 |
The Abbey Church at Richardton was dedicated. |
July 6, 1918 |
During World War I, William Jennings Bryan, three-time Democratic candidate for president, delivered a patriotic address at Grand Forks. |
July 5, 1876 |
Clement A. Lounsberry, editor-founder of The Bismarck Tribune, scored one of journalism's biggest scoops -- filing 50,000 words by telegraph on the Custer Massacre to The New York Herald. |
July 6, 1884 |
Langdon was designated as the seat of Cavalier County. |
July 6, 1876 |
A special edition of The Bismarck Tribune announced the Custer massacre. News of the disaster had been brought down the Missouri by Captain Grant Marsh, piloting the steamship Far West, which carried the wounded from the Battle of the Little Big Horn. |
July 6, 1936 |
Less than five months after the coldest temperature in North Dakota history (-60 degrees at Parshall) had been recorded on February 15, the hottest temperature (121 degrees at Steele) in the state's official weather records was reported. |
July 6, 1944 |
Alfred G. Arvold of Fargo was elected Imperial Potentate of the Shrine at the order's 70th annual convention in Milwaukee. |
July 6, 1964 |
The Grand Forks City Council approved naming a new inter-city bridge John Fitzgerald Kennedy Memorial Bridge. |
July 7, 1862 |
The first of four wagon trains led by Capt. James L. Fisk, and including 117 men and 13 women in 53 wagons, left Fort Abercrombie for the west. |
July 7, 1893 |
Six members of the D.S. Krieder family near Cando were slain by Albert Bomberger in one of early North Dakota's celebrated murder cases. |
July 7, 1934 |
The North Dakota Supreme Court disqualified Governor William Langer from Office. Lieutenant Govenror Ole H. Olson became governor. |
July 7, 1929 |
Wight S. "Barney" Zimmerley of Cogswell flew a light plane from Brownsville, Texas, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, a distance of 1,725 miles in 16 hours to set a new non-stop flight record. |
July 8, 1870 |
Fort Pembina was established about 1.25 miles from the present site of Pembina, with quarters for 200 men. The name first suggested for the post, Fort George H. Thomas, was disapproved by General Sherman on the grounds that the historic town name of Pembina should be retained. |
July 8, 1878 |
The cabin of John Hallson, first Icelandic settler at Mountain, was completed, thus beginning what was to become the largest Icelandic settlement in the United States. |
July 8, 1883 |
The first meeting of the Cavalier County Commission was held with P. McHugh, W.H. Matthews and L.0. Norcong as commissioners. |
July 8, 1942 |
The North Dakota Association of Rural Electric Cooperatives was organized at Carrington by representatives of five co-ops, with P.J. Donnelly of Grafton elected as its first president. |
July 7, 1864 |
Fort Rice was officially established 20 miles southeast of the present site of Bismarck. It was named for Brigadier General Clay Rice, killed in the Battle of the Wilderness in May, 1864. The fort was abandoned May 8, 1878. |
July 8, 1884 |
The town of McHugh in Cavalier County was renamed Langdon. |
July 8, 1968 |
A mild earthquake centered in the vicinity of Ashley shook the Bismarck area. It was reported to be the first known earthquake in North Dakota. |